Astrophysics is a basic science that uses the Universe as a great laboratory to study fundamental physics. Today, Astrophysics not only plays a vital role in broadening the human knowledge of the Universe but also promotes the development of new technologies and other related scientific fields such as Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Unfortunately, for many reasons, modern Astrophysics in Viet Nam has not been developed for many decades, resulting in a big gap in knowledge between the Vietnamese and the world scientific community. In order to bridge this gap, several astrophysicists from Viet Nam, France, Japan and United States have devoted time and effort in developing Astrophysics in Viet Nam by regularly organizing scientific conferences, workshops and schools on Astrophysics and Cosmology. Among these activities, Rencontres du Vietnam has started with International University – Vietnam National University in HCM city and Quy Nhon University the first Vietnam School of Astrophysics (VSOA) in 2013 that was organized in Quy Nhon with a great success. The 2nd VSOA will therefore be held from 2nd to 9th August, 2014 at Quy Nhon University and International Center for Interdisciplinary Science and Education (ICISE), Quy Nhon city.
The school will offer courses in astrophysics and cosmology as listed below:
- Friedmann-Roberson-Walker Cosmology
- Early Universe
- Inflation and Structure Formation
- The Cosmic Microwave Background
The school is financially supported by Rencontres du Vietnam.
Some limited accommodation and funds for local traveling may be available for students from Vietnam and other Asian developing countries.
- Nguyễn Trọng Hiền (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, USA)
- Guilaume Patanchon (University Paris Diderot - Paris 7, France)
- Roland Triay (Centre de Physique Théorique, France)
- Soojong Pak (Kyung Hee University, Korea)
Vietnam School of Astrophysics Board:
- Jean Thanh Vân Trần (Chair, Rencontres du Vietnam, France)
- Phan Bảo Ngọc (Director, HCM International University - Vietnam National University, Vietnam)
- Nguyễn Trọng Hiền (Scientific Program Advisor, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, USA)
- Pierre Lesaffre (Scientific Program Advisor, École Normale Supérieure de Paris, France)
Local Organizing Committee:
- Nguyễn Minh Phương (Quy Nhon University, Vietnam)
- Phạm Thị Kiều Nhân (International University-VNU, HCMC)
- Đào Văn Tiến Dũng (International University-VNU, HCMC)
Background banner: Portrait of Our Dusty Past (Artist Concept)